Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charts running slow

With volatility ES is slow and at times unworkable
    Would adding more ram help? It was fine a week ago?

Originally posted by Gregory Arkadin View Post
    With volatility ES is slow and at times unworkable
    Would adding more ram help? It was fine a week ago?
    I have also had Ninja slowing down - even freezing with a "Not Responding" error in Windows 7 64bit.

My problem seems to have been having a Time and Sales window running. I replaced the T&S with an indicator that does the same thing and the problem seems to have disappeared - or at least mitigated. I will know more when I observe again come Monday.

If you right-click on the Windows Taskbar and run Task Manager, look at the Performance tab. It should tell you how much memory you are using in % at the bottom.

I use only about 30% at any time. I have a liquid-cooled 6-core CPU that can turbo 3 of its cores to 4.2-4.3Ghz for single-threaded apps (like Ninja is when charting live data). Ninja is loaded on and writing to a solid-state drive so there is no bottleneck. There are still times I've noticed a bit of hesitation in the chart in fast markets, but that is likely due to one or two intensive calc indicators.

If you have a multi-core CPU that has a turbo-boost feature enabled, be sure to run Task Manager after starting NT, then find NinjaTrader in the Processes tab and right-click on it. Select Priority to be High (Real-time is not available). Then right-click on NinjaTrader again and select Affinity and only leave the cores you have set to Turbo-mode checked to force Ninja to use the faster cores.

Unfortunately I think you have to do that every time you run NinjaTrader, as I haven't found a utility that will do it automatically every time (still looking though...)
    Last edited by Tarkus11; 08-06-2011, 08:19 AM.

Comment

My problem seems to have been having a Time and Sales window running. I replaced the T&S with an indicator that does the same thing and the problem seems to have disappeared - or at least mitigated. I will know more when I observe again come Monday.

What indicator is that, I use t and s as well

If you right-click on the Windows Taskbar and run Task Manager, look at the Performance tab. It should tell you how much memory you are using in % at the bottom.
      I added 1 gb of ram and ran the NT in market replay mode to see if this would help. I ran 8/3 in market replay,the cpu usage was around 50% but spike a few times to 100% during the open, probably the busiest time. I don't know if market reply is a good barometer memeory is at 1.15 mb

Will this new 1gb help at all when the market gets like this you think, or do I need more memory? I can add up to a 1gb more
      Last edited by Gregory Arkadin; 08-06-2011, 08:52 AM.

Comment

I searched the NT forum and the T&S indicator is not there. I got it originally from Big Mike's forum which perhaps incorrectly referenced the original source as the NT forum, so you will need register at Big Mike's to download TimeAndSales.zip.

Also, you may be using Win XP, which does not show memory usage at the bottom of the Task Manager Performance tab. As I said, I am using Win 7.

I would eliminate the native T&S window first and see if performance improves. You do not say what kind of CPU you are running, so you should check that you have one that is powerful enough to run whatever you are throwing at it.

Even though memory is cheap these days, unless you are under minimum (you should at least fulfill the NT requirements that they list) more memory is of no use if your CPU is choking on its calculations or your internet connection is very slow.

----------
        Also - during my troubleshooting I temporarily disabled anti-virus, so I know it was not responsible for the chart response-time drag.
        Last edited by Tarkus11; 08-06-2011, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Even though memory is cheap these days, unless you are under minimum (you should at least fulfill the NT requirements that they list) more memory is of no use if your CPU is choking on its calculations or your internet connection is very slow.

windows vista AMD athlon 64x2 dual processor 3800 +2ghz 32 bit operating system

Comment

If you have a multi-core CPU that has a turbo-boost feature enabled, be sure to run Task Manager after starting NT, then find NinjaTrader in the Processes tab and right-click on it. Select Priority to be High (Real-time is not available). Then right-click on NinjaTrader again and select Affinity and only leave the cores you have set to Turbo-mode checked to force Ninja to use the faster cores.

Unfortunately I think you have to do that every time you run NinjaTrader, as I haven't found a utility that will do it automatically every time (still looking though...)
            To set the priority and affinity parameters on the NinjaTrader shortcut you can add: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start "NinjaTrader 7" /HIGH /AFFINITY 0x7 to the front of the existing shortcut target, changing affinity as required.

Run "start /?" at a command prompt to see all the parameters for the "start" command.

Mine looks like: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start "NinjaTrader 7" /HIGH /AFFINITY 0x7 "C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 7\bin64\NinjaTrader.exe"

Comment

Originally posted by wavel View Post
              To set the priority and affinity parameters on the NinjaTrader shortcut you can add: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start "NinjaTrader 7" /HIGH /AFFINITY 0x7 to the front of the existing shortcut target, changing affinity as required.

Run "start /?" at a command prompt to see all the parameters for the "start" command.

Mine looks like: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start "NinjaTrader 7" /HIGH /AFFINITY 0x7 "C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 7\bin64\NinjaTrader.exe"
              Thanks for that.

FYI - also check your Control Panel/Performance/Administration/Event Viewer for any Windows-related errors.

I made sure mine was free of any Windows-boot or config errors before I even installed NinjaTrader.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by usazencort, Today, 01:16 AM
              0 responses
              1 view
              0 likes
              Last Post usazencort  
              Started by kaywai, 09-01-2023, 08:44 PM
              5 responses
              0 likes