Collapse

Connectivity problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ping the server 100+ times is there any loss?

Comment

Forums are often a poor channel for communication. Am I reading too much into your last message when I think you're telling me you're not prepared to do any more?

As a response to a situation which is causing me to spend literally hours every week dealing with the effects, it comes up way short of the normally professional service you offer. You give me nothing to work with, and no apparent way forward.

What do you imagine I'm going to do now if you can't give me some reason to believe this issue can be resolved for the next beta? Are you seriously going to tell me NT isn't designed to handle what I'm doing to it, or that you don't have the expertise to solve this one?

Comment

Originally posted by poeds View Post
        ping the server 100+ times is there any loss?
        Ah, thanks. Some can-do thinking. I was just beginning to think me and NT were going seperate ways.

I'll try that tonight when the connection is usually killed.

At the moment it's all hunky-dory.

Code:
        [FONT=Courier New]Reply from 208.245.107.9: bytes=32 time=96ms TTL=108

Ping statistics for 208.245.107.9:
            Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
        Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
            Minimum = 95ms, Maximum = 106ms, Average = 95ms
        [/FONT]
        How does that round-trip look to you? Average I figured.

Comment

Unfortunately there is not much I can do on my end. When I create a chart just like you do, I do not experience the IB error message. In order for me to troubleshoot the issue, I will need to be able to reproduce the issue on my end.

It seems the issue is related specific to your setup, since I cannot reproduce it and all other customers that use IB have not reported such behavior.

Perhaps you can test the issue on a separate PC, if not already and check if you notice a difference. Unfortunately I am not sure what could be causing the issue on your end as per your setup.

Maybe you can proceed by uninstalling NinjaTrader and TWS completely from your PC and install them both fresh ad check if this will solve the issue.
          JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

That round trip is well within range for IB.
            When I had troubles with IB some while ago I coulnt get a handle on what was going on. 50+ emails to and fro to IB and it turns out my isp was losing 7% of my data at times.
            keep that cmd window to hand.
            if you didnt try the ipv6 thing or dont want to email your isp and see if they have any input

Comment

I forgot to mention try this
              connect to a WIFI that uses a different ISP or put your custom stuff on a stick and d/l nt to a friends pc, thats how I first established that my ISP had a problem withzF servers and that problem was ipv6

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                Unfortunately there is not much I can do on my end. When I create a chart just like you do, I do not experience the IB error message. In order for me to troubleshoot the issue, I will need to be able to reproduce the issue on my end.

It seems the issue is related specific to your setup, since I cannot reproduce it and all other customers that use IB have not reported such behavior.

Perhaps you can test the issue on a separate PC, if not already and check if you notice a difference. Unfortunately I am not sure what could be causing the issue on your end as per your setup.

Maybe you can proceed by uninstalling NinjaTrader and TWS completely from your PC and install them both fresh ad check if this will solve the issue.

Jason, this happens on 2 PCs exactly the same. If anything is wrong with my hardware etc, it's not the PCs or OS. I'm using Win7-64 on one and XP on the other. Same issues. What I was expecting you to say is that I need to run some kind of packet snooper to detect what NT is doing to cause that "Invalid time period" error in the IB logs.

Obviously I have no idea why I get this error and nobody else does - perhaps everyone else does but I am the only one for whom it results in disconnections.

Poeds: you're right, I didn't try disabling IPv6 thing. The error is a hard-coded IB thing that NT is provoking practically all the time, so I figured that zenfire must have been the one with the IPv6 issue and it probably wasn't worth trying to work out how to disable IPv6 across my LAN at this stage - not at least until NT support can tell me more about that error from IB.

Comment

Ok, but both PC's connect to the internet the same way, correct? Then likely the issue lies in your internet connection setup or ISP. I suggest to try a different ISP (friend, free public internet) and check if the issue remains.

Unfortunately I am not sure what is referred by a 'packet snooper'. I was not aware of errors in the IB log files - unfortunately we are not qualified to investigate such log files.

In addition, please note that the error comes from IB and indicates the connection did not work at that point in time.

Comment

This is the deal the way I see it: InteractiveBrokers say NinjaTrader is causing the error.

You, on behalf of NinjaTrader, are saying that InteractiveBrokers is causing the error.

Come on man, this is not the children's playground. If you can't do it, then escalate it within your organisation.

The NT InteractiveBrokers connection software was programmed by your guys against the TWS API and InteractiveBrokers are telling *you* there is a bug in there - see the copies of their messages I posted here.

They won't look at my connection issues because they say they are caused by this NT bug. So as soon as you can replicate that error in the IB log, then we can move onto the next step.

If you are not seeing the error in the IB log files, then you probably don't have the logging set to a fine enough level. In TWS, navigate Configure > API > All API Settings... then change logging level to DETAIL and try it all again.

If you are not qualified to investigate such log files then please put me in touch with the software developers in your organisation who are qualified.

I've spent ages on this and over the last couple of months I've helped you guys nail several bugs in the beta version. If you stick to it, we can nail this one. If you really can't, then pass the issue up the ladder.

Thanks

Comment

My 2 cents its the man in the middle, ISP, is there no way you can test this?

Comment

At the end of the day you might be right that it's the ISP causing the problem, and it's Interactive Brokers who should be helping me sort that out, but they have a very valid point that there is always an associated error "Invalid time period" (as posted above) which they say is a result of the interaction from NT, which NT need to fix. What can I do? I'm just the helpless messenger and I don't know enough about networking to independently ascertain whether there is some kind of internet connection problem here that doesn't show itself anywhere else. And I have tried, multiple times.

Comment

If your NT client was colocated with the IB server then what IB is saying that NT is causing the error maybe could be assumed to be true.
                          But between one and tother is TCPipv4 and TCPipv6 and your isps implementation of those.
                          Without knowing the details one can remove the thing wholesale and replace it with another by connecting via a different ISP, at least it eliminates a possibility.
                          Sorry to bang on ab this but in both issues I had one with IB and another with ZF the cause was the ISP

Comment

You had the issue with IB? Not the TCPIPv6 - you mean something else surely?

Comment

The issue with IB was something else.
                              The issue was Zenfire was IPv6, in other words 2 months of constant issues with connection to their historical data and then trying with another ISP, no problem. Then as soon as I disabled IPv6 in desparation the problem went and didnt return.
                              IPv4 has been around 4 ever IPv6 is new thats why I tried it.
                              That fixit link I put up has a reenable IPv6 if it doesnt work, in any event my IPv6 is disabled and it has no effect on my internet use.

Comment

Please note that we did not state that the issue is caused by IB - we stated that the error comes from IB.

As per the 'invalid time period' error, can you please check if your PC clock/date is correct and in synch.

I suggest to test a different ISP and check if the 'invalid time period' error and issue persist.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by cmtjoancolmenero, Yesterday, 03:58 PM
                                11 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post cmtjoancolmenero  
                                Started by FrazMann, Today, 11:21 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post FrazMann  
                                Started by geddyisodin, Yesterday, 05:20 AM
                                8 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                                Started by DayTradingDEMON, Today, 09:28 AM