Trying to add text to ind panel causes crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to add text to ind panel causes crash

When I try to use the drawing tools to add text (menu or F12) to an indicator panel, it causes a msg to be displayed that Ninja detected a problem and has to shut down..... The msg pops up when I click in the indicator panel where I want to place the text.

I can add text to the price panel no problem, just the indicator panels are causing the problem.

aslane,

Unfortunately I was not able to reproduce. Please provide information on what kind of chart this was. Multi series? Equidistant bar spacing? What indicator? Etc.

Also, please be sure you are on NT 7.0.0.4.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yes, I neglected to say I was on 7.0.0.4

Ok, I went thru and created a new chart with a standard ATR indicator, and I dont see the problem.

When I then put one of my indicators on the chart, it happens everytime. It seems to only be a certain indicator, which compiles no problem and seems to be working otherwise. It is an indicator that is still using the old multi-color plotting method with multiple plots. Other than that, there is nothing that special about the ind. Interestingly, the other draw objects (i.e. line) seem to work fine. It is only text objects that cause the issue.

I was planning to convert the coloring anyway, so I will try that and report back.

Comment

aslane,

There is a bug with the new coloring styles too. Please try again after we fix that bug. Hopefully it resolves it then.

Comment

This is still not working for me in B5, but I narrowed it down to why. I had been overriding the chart label by adding the following method to my indicators:

Code:
          public override string ToString() {	
          	return "";	
          }
          Indicators that do this, cause the problem reported. Indicators that do not override ToString() work fine. NT must be calling this routine to assign a tag to the drawing object?

This worked fine in 6.5, and I used it as a way to make sure that the label was not on the chart. I know you can manually set the label field to an empty string to get the label off the screen, but I wanted to force the chart label off for good. Perhaps this is not the best way to do this?

Comment

To clarify, are you saying that a script that has the ToString empty you can't draw text boxes on?

Comment

Thats correct, I get the error msg mentioned in original post, but NT does not really need to shut down. If I then click the mouse on the price panel or a different indicator panel, NT goes ahead and inserts text. It just will not allow the text to be inserted on the panel with the indicator that has the ToString implementation mentioned.

Interestingly, it is only text drawing objects that seem to have the issue, as I can draw lines etc no problem.

Comment

Thanks. We will look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by aslane View Post
                  This is still not working for me in B5, but I narrowed it down to why. I had been overriding the chart label by adding the following method to my indicators:

Code:
                  public override string ToString() {    
                      return "";    
                  }
                  Indicators that do this, cause the problem reported. Indicators that do not override ToString() work fine. NT must be calling this routine to assign a tag to the drawing object?

This worked fine in 6.5, and I used it as a way to make sure that the label was not on the chart. I know you can manually set the label field to an empty string to get the label off the screen, but I wanted to force the chart label off for good. Perhaps this is not the best way to do this?

Reproduced here also.
                  Quick work around is:

instead of returning "" (empty string) use return " "; (string with one or few spaces)

Comment

This has been fixed in the next version. Thank you for reporting.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by gwenael, Yesterday, 09:29 AM
                    1 response
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_Eduardo  
                    Started by Creamers, Yesterday, 05:32 AM
                    1 response
                    0 likes