View Full Version : Equities?
06-20-2007, 08:16 AM
Can we add equities to our instrument list?
06-20-2007, 08:36 AM
Yes you can.
06-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Ok, I give up, Can't figure out how to add an equity to my Instrument list. I've searched the Help data base, and played around with the "New", "stock" "Master Instrument" and "symbol", but can't seem to get it to work.
Please outline steps for me
06-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Thank you for your post.
1. Which stocks are you trying to receive data for?
2. We have a pre-built list of the S&P 500 that can be downloaded into your Instrument Manager.
Instructions can be found here:
3. You can certainly add a stock manually to the Instrument Manager, but an easier method is to select 'Stock' in any order entry or Format Data series window. This will then enable you to type in the stock symbol directly into the Instrument name field.
See attached screen shot for reference.
Let us know if you are still having trouble. :)
06-20-2007, 08:36 PM
That sounds easy enough. Thanks for the details.
However, when I used the "Format Data Series" window, Type: Stock, Name: TRE, Exchange: AMEX, etc., I got the "You need to select an instrument" error message after clicking OK.
I don't think I need the whole list. I just want this one equity at the moment.
06-20-2007, 11:59 PM
Unfortunately you would need to add TRE to an instrument list in the instrument editor to actually make it available for selection.
This is a limitation which will be overcome by fall time frame
06-21-2007, 06:06 AM
When I tried using the instrument editor originally, and now again, these are the steps I took:
Tools, Instrument Manager, New, Instrument Editor, Master Instrument (wrote in symbol "TRE"), Instrument type, "Stock", Exchamge "AMEX", Misc Tab, Symbol Map, Zen-Fire "TRE" OK, OK, OK
When everything closed, TRE did not show up on list, nor did I get an error message.
06-21-2007, 06:58 AM
The instrument surely will show. Please make sure you sort the grid by name and find TRE.
You may want to try again just with another name to see how it works. You later may then delete this instrument.
06-21-2007, 08:07 AM
Sorry, Dierk, when I do a search for the symbol, name or description, with type set to "any". I get an empty dark grey list. And when I try to enter "IBM" "USS" GOOG" I still have same problem.
06-21-2007, 08:11 AM
a) Just click on the "Name" column to sort by name and then manually search for TRE or the symbol which you just created.
b) You need to leave '*' in "Name" and "Description" field before you press "Search" button.
06-21-2007, 08:31 AM
It's not there
06-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Sorry, I'm on a loss.
>> Tools, Instrument Manager, New, Instrument Editor, Master Instrument (wrote in symbol "TRE"), Instrument type, "Stock", Exchamge "AMEX", Misc Tab, Symbol Map, Zen-Fire "TRE" OK, OK, OK
I tried that on NT6R3 and it did work as expected.
Also: ZenFire does not support stocks. Why do you setup the mapping for Zen?
06-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Dierk, I didn't know that zenfire didnt support stocks . . where should i enter the symbol? I dont want to trade the stock from ninja, just want to use ninja charting
06-21-2007, 09:15 AM
I guess we are a little bit confused right now.
Can you please let me know:
- Who you connect to
- If you want to enter a Stock symbol
06-21-2007, 10:07 AM
I connect through Mirus/Eliot Wickersheimer. I use Zenfire for my futures trading. Have starting using Ninja charts and like them, but do my equites trades thru TradeStation. Wanted to look at one equity on the Ninja charts.
06-21-2007, 11:03 AM
Please try the following and keep in mind that you can only sim trade with TS data. They won't allow any order placement outside of their platform.
- Open up TS
- In TS go to File--> Import/Export Easy Language
- In the window that opens up Select 'Import EasyLanguage File (ELD, ELS, or ELA)and click Next
- This will open up an Import Wizard, click on Browse and select--> My computer--> C disk--> Program Files--> NinjaTrader5--> Bin--> AutoTrade--> NinjaTraderELD. Then click Next and OK until it is accepted.
- Then open up NinjaTrader and connect to External datafeed
- Then go back to TS and select the stock symbol you use and select a one minute chart
- When the chart is up and running, right click in the chart and select 'Insert Strategy'
- This will open up an Insert Strategies window, highlight NT ExternalFeed and click OK and Close.
- Then go back to NinjaTrader and open up a DOM and enter your stock in the instrument section and hit the Enter key on your keyboard. Data should now come in.
Let me know if this works for you
06-21-2007, 04:54 PM
I just want to look at an equity on the beautiful Ninja charts. I don't want to trade the equity from within Ninja. All my equity trades are done thru TS.
Is it possible just to look at the chart of an equity in Ninja?
06-21-2007, 05:05 PM
Vince would this be easier by phone? I went thru the TS steps per your instructions, but nothing.
Also, I wanted to be able to view the equity in real time, not sim mode, while I have other ninja charts open for the futureds contracts.
Is this possible? Or can I only look at equity charts in sim?
06-21-2007, 11:16 PM
>> Also, I wanted to be able to view the equity in real time, not sim mode, while I have other ninja charts open for the futureds contract
This is not possible, since you can not connect to ZenFire and "External Feed" the same time.
Same is true for the sim feed: you can not connect to ZenFire and "Sim Feed" the same time.
06-22-2007, 06:58 AM
That clarifies it. I apologize for not asking the question properly the first time, and causing you and the others to waste so much time in getting my answer.
Thank you all for your efforts to help.