View Full Version : Strategy Error
04-30-2007, 01:05 AM
I'm getting the following error when Analyzing a strategy:
Strategy,Error on calling 'OnBarUpdate' method for strategy 'XYZ': Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
How to debug? How can I find out which line of code in OnBarUpdate is generating the error?
04-30-2007, 01:26 AM
You will have to add debug print statements to each area of your codethat has a variable that holds an object. Somewhere your code is accessing an object variable that does not hold an object.
if (myObject == null)
04-30-2007, 10:12 PM
The error is being caused by the following line of code:
When I run the code without this conditional statement the error doesn't occur.
What am I doing wrong? Do I need to initialize the Position object?
Is there any way to debug NS using VS or another debugger?
05-01-2007, 01:14 AM
- do you have code line below in the OnBarUpdate method? I just tried on a blank strategy and could not experience any issue
- there is no need to initialize the Position object
- you can not debug your NS strategy by a debugger. I suggest putting in Print() statements.
05-01-2007, 02:38 AM
Yes, it is in the OnBarUpdate method as part of more code. When I just remove this line and let the rest of the code run, it runs fine. When I add this line as a condition to part of the code (along and shortexit), the object error appears.
05-01-2007, 02:45 AM
Can you please PM me your strategy to "dierk AT ninjatrader DOT com" in order reproduce?
I also would need:
- which instrument is this
- which timeframe (1 minute? else?)
- please send me a screenshot of your strategy settings as well
05-01-2007, 03:16 AM
Sent by mail.
05-01-2007, 04:06 AM
This is a bug which will be fixed with next update. Thanks for reporting that one.
05-01-2007, 05:52 AM
We created a custom build holding this fix. Please:
- uninstall NT6 via control panel
- clear your browser cache
- install custom build from here: www.ninjatrader-support.com/ninjatrader/nt6.custom/NinjaTrader.Install.msi
05-01-2007, 07:36 AM
I'm impressed with the fast turn-around on this.
I will test the custom version first thing AM.