NinjaTrader Migration Guide migrating from version 6.5 to 7
On the first run of NinjaTrader 7 you will have the option via a "Migrate NinjaTrader Data" pop up window to migrate some of your prior NinjaTrader settings over. This migration process will help considerably in transferring your NinjaTrader 6.5 settings and files, but it will NOT migrate 6.5 data completely so it is important to understand what is and is not transferred prior to removing any old installations. Note that there are no conflicts with having both NinjaTrader 6.5 and 7 installed concurrently so if you wish to keep 6.5 you can do so as well.
What will be migrated
What will NOT be migrated
- Data stored in the NinjaTrader database
- Data stored in Market Replay files
- Instruments and Instrument Lists stored in the database
- Commissions set up in the Instrument Manager
- Trade execution history
- Account connections
- Tools > Options settings
- Market Analyzer templates
- Strategy Wizard templates
- Chart Templates
- NinjaScript indicators and strategies
- Indicator columns in Market Analyzer templates pointing to custom indicators
- Custom symbol mappings for instruments in the Instrument Manager
Charts and chart templates are not migrated because NinjaTrader 7’s charting is fundamentally different than prior versions and unfortunately no longer compatible. You will have to rebuild your charts.
Restoring from NinjaTrader Backup Files
Restoring back up files created in NinjaTrader 6.5 to NinjaTrader 7 is not supported.
Migrating NinjaScript Files
For 3rd party addon scripts, please consult with the individual vendors for NinjaTrader 7 compatible versions of their products. Due to significant improvements in 7, 6.5 addons may no longer work in the new version. NinjaTrader has provided the vendors with information on necessary steps to resolve these issues and they should be able to provide you with new 7 compatible versions shortly.
To migrate self generated NinjaScript indicators and strategies, it is recommended you first try to export them as source files instead of compiled assemblies from within NinjaTrader 6.5.
Should you run into any errors during import, it likely means that the contents inside the archive are not NinjaTrader 7 compatible.
To resolve, please follow these steps:
- Go to "Documents\NinjaTrader 6.5\bin\Custom\Indicator" and manually copy the source files for your NinjaScript to "Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\Indicator"
- Go to "Documents\NinjaTrader 6.5\bin\Custom\Strategy" and manually copy the source files for your NinjaScript to "Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\Strategy"
- If your scripts use any file dependencies like UserDefinedMethods.cs, please ensure you have copied those to their respective folders
- If your scripts are using custom DLL references in NinjaTrader 6.5 you will also need to add those references to NinjaTrader 7.
- To view your 6.5 references go to the NinjaScript Editor via Tools > Edit NinjaScript and open any file. Then Right Mouse Click > References
- To add references to 7, go to the NinjaScript Editor > Right Mouse Click > References and press the "Add" button. You will need to add any DLL references that were on 6.5, but not on the default 7 reference list.
- After all components are copied you will need to compile the NinjaScript assembly. Go to Tools > Edit NinjaScript and open any file. Press "F5" on your keyboard or the "Compile" button on the toolbar. When compiling you should see a list of errors that need to be addressed before your NinjaScript files will work. Please review the "Code breaking changes" information that may help in resolving some of the errors in your list.